Her new full-length plays which have not yet been professionally produced are I Know You’re the One, and For Your Love.
Mary Gallagher’s plays Chocolate Cake (included in Win/Lose/Draw), Father Dreams, Little Bird, Buddies, Dog Eat Dog, Love Minus, How To Say Goodbye, De Donde? and Windshook are published and licensed by Dramatists Play Service. They have been produced at such theatres as the American Conservatory Theater, Actors Theatre of Louisville, Hartford Stage Company, the Alley Theatre, the Main Street Theatre, and the Cincinnati Playhouse; in NYC at the New York Shakespeare Festival; the Provincetown Playhouse, the Vineyard Theatre, The American Place Theatre, the Ensemble Studio Theatre, the Women’s Project, and HOME ; and in many other countries. “De Donde?” was published in American Theater in 1989. Windshook was published in New Plays from Act’s Young Conservatory Vol. I and Best Plays by Women 1996, both published by Smith & Kraus. Many of Gallagher’s short plays are anthologized, including Perfect, Sandwich, Brother, and Bedtime. First Communion, Andre the Seal, The Perfect Guy, and Bedtime are published and licensed by playscripts.com.
Her screenplays for Paramount, MGM, HBO, CBS, Showtime and Lifetime include:
- Nobody’s Child, co-written by Ara Watson, directed by Lee Grant and starring Marlo Thomas (Writers Guild Award for Gallagher & Watson, Emmy for Thomas)
- Bonds of Love, starring Treat Williams (Best TV Movie of the Year, Banff International Television Festival)
- The Passion of Ayn Rand, starring Helen Mirren, Peter Fonda, Eric Stoltz and Julie Delpy, which premiered at Sundance and aired on Showtime (Emmy for Mirren, Golden Globe for Fonda)
- In 2002-3 Ms. Gallagher was a staff writer for JoJo’s Circus, a hit stop-action-animation show on the Disney Channel.
Most of these plays are in print and continue to be produced in the U.S. and other countries:
- WIN/LOSE/DRAW (co-author Ara Watson), Spanish premiere, Palma de Mallorca, Spain, 2005.
- FIRST COMMUNION, City Theatre, Miami, FL, 2004.
- FARTHER ALONG, musical with composer Louise Beach. Commissioned and produced by the University of New Hampshire, 2000.
- THE SCOTTISH PLAY (Gallagher’s adaptation of MACBETH). Produced by Gypsy, Compost West and Capital Repertory Theatre at the Masonic Temple, Albany, NY, 1998.
- AMA, adapted from the Noh play and produced by Gypsy, MaskWork Unltd. and Compost West, Kingston Point Park, NY, 1996.
- PREMANJALI AND THE SEVEN GEESE BROTHERS, Gypsy & MaskWork Unltd., Widow Jane Cave, Rosendale, NY, 1994. WINDSHOOK, Young Conservatory & Professional Company, American Conservatory Theatre, 1992, 1996.
- DE DONDE? Cincinnati Playhouse, 1990. NYC: New York Shakespeare Festival, 1990.
- ADULTERY, BROTHER, INSOMNIA, CHILDREN OF DYSFUNCTIONAL COOKS, HOME, 1988-89.
- HOW TO SAY GOODBYE, Humana Festival, 1986. NYC: Vineyard Theatre, 1987.
- BEDTIME, NYC: Ark Theatre Company, 1984.
- SPECIAL FAMILY THINGS (co-author Ara Watson), NYC: Women’s Project, 1984.
- DOG EAT DOG, Hartford Stage Company, 1983.
- BUDDIES, NYC: Ensemble Studio Theatre, 1982.
- CHOCOLATE CAKE, Humana Festival, Actors Theatre of Louisville, 1981. Produced in NYC as part of WIN/LOSE/DRAW (co-author Ara Watson) at the Provincetown Playhouse, 1983.
- LITTLE BIRD, Berkshire Theatre Festival, 1980. NYC: 78th Street Theatre Lab, 1980.
- FATHER DREAMS American Conservatory Theatre, 1978. Loretto- Hilton Repertory Theatre, 1980. NYC: Ensemble Studio Theatre, 1981.
- FLY AWAY HOME, American Conservatory Theatre, 1977.
Windshook was first published in New Plays from Act’s Young Conservatory Vol. I and Best Plays By Women 1996. Gallagher’s short plays including Chocolate Cake, Bedtime, Brother, Sandwich, and Perfect are included in many anthologies. Her recent short plays First Communion, Andre the Seal, The Perfect Guy, and Bedtime are published and licensed by playscripts.com.
Her first novel, Spend it Foolishly, was published by Atheneum Press and in paperback by Avon Press. She is currently writing a 19th century novel.